Are your kids interested in geology? Or rocks? If you answered yes to either question, then this unit is perfect! Come check out our rock unit for lessons on the rock cycle and rock identification. Perfect for kids in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade.
While this activity is ideal for the outdoors, especially in the schoolyard or backyard, it can be done in the classroom.
This Unit Contains:
- Full Meet the Rocks rock cycle lesson
- Full Rockin’ Around rock properties lesson
- Rock Identification key for 18 common rocks
- Rock of Our Lives: 3 activities that highlight how we use rocks every day
- Make it with Rocks: an art and engineering challenge featuring rocks!
✔️ 🚫 Virtual distance learning & Socially distanced classroom
Some lessons and activities in this unit will work for virtual learning:
- Meet the Rocks w/the Rock Identification Key (although this does use streak plates, butter knife, and steel nail)
- Rocks of Our Lives
- Rockin’ Around lesson – the part where demonstrate cookies are like rocks
- Make it with Rocks – the art challenge piece
We do not recommend the rest for virtual learning or a socially distanced classroom.
Geology, Earth Science
Concepts & Vocab:
Rock properties, rock cycle, igneous, metamorphic, sedimentary, magma, luster, Moh’s hardness, streak, rock identification.